Monday, June 25, 2012

Reflections on the Psalms (Psalms 25)


"Show me your ways, Lord,

teach me your paths.
Guide me in your truth and teach me,
    
for you are God my Savior,
and my hope is in you all day long.

Remember, Lord, your great mercy and love,
for they are from of old.
Do not remember the sins of my youth
and my rebellious ways;
according to your love remember me,
    
for you, Lord, are good.

Good and upright is the Lord;
    
therefore he instructs sinners in his ways.
He guides the humble in what is right
    
and teaches them his way.
All the ways of the Lord are loving and faithful
toward those who keep the demands of his covenant.
For the sake of your name, Lord,
    
Forgive my iniquity, though it is great."



It should be our natural response to ask God for guidance and direction.   Left to our own, we naturally set our GPS to sinfulness.  God has a completely different map and route for us though.  Rather than follow our selfish desires God seeks to set us on the path of the righteous.  Just like we trust in our modern day technology to guide us toward our destination, we must trust in God that he is leading us on the right path regardless of how we may view our surroundings.

I remember when when my parents trusted me with my first car.  It was a blue Ford Mustang.  It didn't take me long to almost total the car in a crash.  The disappointment I felt when I new I was going to have to call my parents and tell them that I had ruined something they had trusted me with was overwhelming.  In the same way we come to God asking for forgiveness because we have all tarnished and "totaled" our lives left to ourselves.  But God does not remember the sins of our youth when asked.  He forgives us and uses our humility to guide us in His ways.

How has God been instructing YOU on HIS path recently? 

No comments: