Monday, July 02, 2012

Reflection on the Psalms (Psalm 29)


"To you, Lord, I call you are my Rock,

do not turn a deaf ear to me.

For if you remain silent,
 I will be like those who go down to the pit.

Hear my cry for mercy as I call to you for help,

as I lift up my hands toward your Most Holy Place.

Do not drag me away with the wicked,
    
with those who do evil,
 who speak cordially with their neighbors
    
but harbor malice in their hearts.
Repay them for their deeds and for their evil work;

repay them for what their hands have done
and bring back on them what they deserve."


Dear God, 
Please do not give me what I deserve even though we both know I deserve it.
Sincerely, 
Yours Truly

What if we wore our secrets sins around like pins on a sweater?  Or we had to post to our Facebook wall every time we sinned.  What would we think of ourselves and others then?  What sets apart those who have a relationship with God and those that don't?  One of the biggest factors is that as followers of Christ the Holy Spirit dwells within us convicting us of our sin and leading us to confession, repentance and restoration. It always blows my mind to think that God is just and he will give us what we deserve and ask for forgiveness.  In many ways though its not so much God repaying people for what they deserve but God allowing people to choose to remain out of relationship with Him.


No comments: