Monday, August 13, 2012

Reflections on the Psalms (Psalm 38)


"My guilt has overwhelmed me
    
like a burden too heavy to bear.
My wounds fester and are loathsome
    
because of my sinful folly.

I am bowed down and brought very low;
   
all day long I go about mourning.
My back is filled with searing pain;
there is no health in my body.

I am feeble and utterly crushed;
I groan in anguish of heart.
All my longings lie open before you, Lord;
    
my sighing is not hidden from you.
My heart pounds, my strength fails me;
    
even the light has gone from my eyes."


If you have ever wondered if sin, guilt and shame can affect your body in a harmful way here is a perfect example.  When we sin we are filled with feelings of guilt and shame.  This is a natural response to turning from God. I have experienced this as a father with my young children.  There have been things that i didn't teach hem were wrong but that already knew were wrong.  I have seen them become shameful of their sin and try to hide the evidence.  

As adults we do the same thing, we just become better at it.  We become experts at hiding our sin from others but that doesn't mean that God can't see it.  And when the Holy Spirit convicts us of our sin and we realize we can't hide it from God we end up making a choice.  We repent from our sin, we run in shame, we stand in defiance, or we turn to denial.  I believe that when we let sin fester in our lives it can become like wound that won't go away and heal.  We can literally feel physical pain and our health can deteriorate.  Our response to our sin should always be to run back to God in repentance, reconciliation and restoration of the relationship.

No comments: