Thursday, June 07, 2012

Reflection on the Psalms (Psalm 14)


"There is no one who does good.
The Lord looks down from heaven on all mankind

to see if there are any who understand,

any who seek God.
All have turned away, all have become corrupt;
there is no one who does good, not even one."

Wait what?  I thought the Psalms were supposed to be worship songs to God not Debbie Downers!  This Psalm speaks to the reality of sin and how it has so infiltrated the human heart.  We are all sinners by birth, and yet we often shy away from confessing that reality.  We don't want to be told we are by nature infected with this thing called sin.  Maybe its because we have seen to many people misuse guilt in a way that leads to human manipulation.  But God does't want to show us our sinful nature so He can manipulate us, He wants us to realize the depth of our sin so we can see our immense need for a Savior and in doing so turn to Jesus.

Take for instance the book of John and how he uses Jesus 7 I am statements and characters in his story to show our sin and Gods saving nature.

Miracles and Healing of people with sickness bringing death to life
I AM THE BREAD OF LIFE
Nicodemus searching for truth and coming to Jesus in the darkness
I AM THE LIGHT
Pharisees who thought they were the gatekeepers to God
I AM THE DOOR
Jews who thought they were the only keepers of the law and tradition
I AM THE GOOD SHEPHERD
Doubting Thomas and his lack of faith
I AM THE RESURRECTION
Judas trying to forge his own way
I AM THE WAY THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE
The woman at the well searching
I AM THE VINE

No comments: