Saturday, June 23, 2012

Reflections on the Psalms (Psalm 23)


The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,

he leads me beside quiet waters,
he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
 for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk through the darkest valley
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.

You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me
    
all the days of my life,

and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
    
forever.


How many of us can truly say "I lack nothing".  When asked what we lack or need/want I am sure that many of us could come up with a laundry list of things.  When the Lord is our Shepard we can truly say that we lack nothing.  Although we still may feel like we want things, God being our sustainer is enough for all our wants and needs.  We also have nothing to fear if God is watching over us.

God promises us a great future, win we realize the gifts that we have been given we can proclaim that truly our cup overflows with blessing.  But God doesn't just bless us for blessing sake.  When you look all the way back to Abram in the Old Testament we see that God blesses so that we may in return be a blessing to others.  As we walk though life we can know that the blessing and goodness of God and his enduring one will follow us and our response is to worship God and give Him the glory forever!

No comments: