Saturday, August 04, 2012

Reflection on the Psalms (Psalm 35)


Contend, Lord, with those who contend with me
fight against those who fight against me.

Take up shield and armor;

Arise and come to my aid.

Brandish spear and javelin against those who pursue me.

Say to me,
“I am your salvation.”


This text makes me think of God as a boxer.  We step in the ring to try and fight our own battles but God wants us to step back out and trust Him to take care of things for us.  A while back that movie Real Steel came out with the boy who uses a metal robot to box and ends up winning a world title.  I can remember watching that movie with Kaleb and the joy and excitement he had on his face when the father figure took over for him and fought the battle for him.  

I think we all want someone or something to come to our aid in time of need.  Thats why we fantasize about things like knights in shining armor or super heroes like spiderman and superman.  Our culture offers so many real and fictitious saviors that can save the day from danger.  The beauty is we know the  true story, the bigger story that encompasses all fact and fiction, and that is our God who has come to save the day through Jesus Christ our true savior.  We often want a savior like the Jewish people of the time did, one who will brandish weapons and go out to conquer and destroy our enemies.  But we must always remember how Jesus saves us.  He saved us through the cross, through self sacrifice, forgiveness, peace, reconciliation, restoration, through love.  Although Jesus could have come as the lion, He instead chose to come as the lamb that was slain.  That is how Jesus says to us, “I am your salvation!”  

No comments: