Thursday, August 09, 2012

Reflections on the Psalms (Psalm 40)


"Sacrifice and offering you did not desire
but my ears you have opened
burnt offerings and sin offerings you did notrequire.
Then I said, “Here I am, I have come
it is written about me in the scroll.

I desire to do your will, my God;
your law is within my heart.”
But as for me, I am poor and needy;
may the Lord think of me.

You are my help and my deliverer;
you are my God, do not delay."


What does God require of us?  What does He want out of our relationship with Him?  He is not interested in our feeble offerings, He is not a God that wants to be appeased.  Rather He is a God who wants a living active relationship.

I am reminded of Micah 6:8 which says:
"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
    
And what does the Lord require of you?

To act justly and to love mercy
    
and to walk humbly with your God."


God calls us to justice, mercy and humility.  Do you think of yourself as poor and needy, or do you think of yourself as well of not in need of much.  Have you satisfied all your needs and moved on to only worrying about your wants?  If so how can you leave room for God in your life?

No comments: