Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Reflections on the Psalms (Psalm 32)


"Blessed is the one
whose transgressions are forgiven,

whose sins are covered.
Blessed is the one
 whose sin the Lord does not count against them
 and in whose spirit is no deceit.

When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long.
For day and night
your hand was heavy on me;

my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer.
Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity.
I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord.”

And you forgave the guilt of my sin.

Do not be like the horse or the mule,
    
which have no understanding
but must be controlled by bit and bridle
or they will not come to you."

The Old Testament is filled with the promise of either blessings or curses.  Those who choose to follow God are blessed and those who choose to go their own sinful way are cursed.  These blessings and curses are passed on to the following generations.  The choice is always presented to "choose this day whom you will serve" and our response should be "as for me and my house we will serve the Lord."  The Psalmist says that when we hide our sins from God our very bones ache and groan.  Our body cries out fro its core that we are running from our creator.  Its even compared to the feeling of heat exhaustion where you just can't take it anymore, you need and desire a drink of water and a relief from the heat.

I think in many ways we have lost the art of confession in our modern culture.  We have forgotten how to confess our sins to God and to others.  And even when we do manage to confess we forget that this is only part of the process.  Forgiveness also involves repentance which is a turning from our sin to action which is holy.

God doesn't want to constantly have to be pulling the reigns to guide us.  He would rather take the bit and bridle out of our mouth and gently lead us with his voice.  Are you allowing God to gently lead you in your walk with him, or are you acting more like a stubborn mule?

No comments: